Gerard Way has done a special guest cover for something called Rex Mundi issue 15. I like the disembodied reaching red hands and the Escher-inspired staircases in the background.
I have no idea what the comic is about or if it's any good, but I'm just happy for Gerard, that he got asked to do the cover art. Way to go, Gee!
And in related news, a new(ish) Umbrella Academy interview, link courtesy of nokomis305
:Newsarama's Gerard Way on The Umbrella Academy - Past, Present & Future
Some of my favourite bits:
- It's interesting to learn that "the original story that we were thinking of telling in this second series will now be series four". I wonder if this is the reason for the change of the second series' title from The Scarecrow Blues
, the title originally released, to Dallas
. And I like
that he's planning ahead for future series.
- cryptic references to Gerard's "day job". LOL.
- Gerard calls it a "crazy idea" but says that there might even be a series set entirely in the past which "will refer to something we’ve been talking about for a long time." Which might, just maybe, mean the Horror's mysterious death. In the "Jennifer Incident"? ::hopes::
- "Number 5 was very surprising – he has slowly become my favorite character to write." That's very gratifying, seeing that Number Five's my favourite character too! And Gerard has "great things planned for him in series three, and more in series 4." Yay!
- there's a definite ending planned for the story, rather than keeping it going for ever and ever just because they can. Two things that really give me confidence in Gerard as a writer are that he knows the value to a story of depth and a definite ending.
- talking about the preview pages from the next issue, he confirms that Hargreeves is basically "using the children to get what he wants out of people". And what he wants, in this case, is a promise of missiles from President Kennedy. The plot thickens...
Not as interesting as the previous one, but here's another newish interview: PunkTV.ca's Interview with Gerard Way in Support of The Umbrella Academy